Friday, February 13, 2009

Windows 7 : not good enough


I'm currently using Windows 7 beta, and I'm not impressed. Granted that we're a long way from the final product, but its still not good enough. The good news is that its a much better then the ill fated Vista. The bad news is that XP is still going to be the OS to beat, and I'm not sure 7 is up to the task.

RAM usage is still atroiciously high and I don't see any gains in performence in comparison to XP. 7 will do well for those afflicted with Vista but for the XP crowd it may well be the time for a migration to Linux. My only problem is learning some of the Linux programming involved, but there is no question that its the best OS out there, so much so that it can even emulate any other operating system. And the price is just right : $0. Viruses? Nope. Spyware? A thing of the past. Oh, and did I mention that it comes with its own FREE office suite?

Is this the end of Microsoft? I don't think so, but they will definitely lose market share as computer manufacturers ship their machines with Linux. I think Bill Gates has made more then enough money at our expense. Time to move on to bigger and better things.

4 comments:

Shahid said...

As salaamu `alaykum bro,

Why not the Mac?

I used and programmed PCs from 1988 to 2001 and finally switched to Mac. I could never go back.

Use a Mac for a week bro, I can't imagine you'd ever want to go back to using a PC.

DrMaxtor said...

Waliakum Asalam Shahid bhai,

Hope you're doing well. Problem is I don't want to buy a Mac(my PC is just a year old) but Linux can emulate the Mac perfectly.

Yusuf Smith said...

As-Salaamu 'alaikum,

As I've said on previous occasions, switching to a Mac isn't a viable option for many people because you can't get a decent Mac at entry-level PC prices. The Mac Mini comes with 1Gb of RAM and an 80Gb hard drive for much more than a Dell with twice that amount of RAM and 500Gb of disk space. For a proper standalone system unit like my Dell mini-tower, you need to pay big money if you want a Mac, and their hardware "upgrades" often cost more than the item itself. Apple have just lost the plot. I love their OS, it was a treat back in 2004 when I could get a decent Mac for decent money, but nowadays they have taken their own lifestyle marketing acid.

suraci said...

As others have said, I don't think it's a coincidence that the world runs software produced by a Jewish Zionsit, software that is notorious for leaving back door vulnerabilities to hacking.

If Linux ever becomes a serious threat to their Windows into our activities, they'll buy Linux.