Saturday, December 23, 2006

My first kidney...


I found this old cross section of a kidney I had drawn back in the early 90s(click on the pic to see the details). Before medicine, I was a wee lad and aspiring artist, with a particular talent for sketching human faces and bodies. However, I decided to play it safe and stick to drawing inanimate objects due to the Islamic prohibition on the depiction of the living.
I was fairly good at scenery and was told I had a future in art school. I'm not sure I would have turned out to be a professional though.

5 comments:

Vigilante said...

Looks like the map of Baghdad, deliniating the red and green zones, which I posted recently. But then, I hope never to have to look at a kidney again. (Opening another Corona.)I hardly ever watch E.R. for that matter.

SwordsWoman said...

Salaams Doc - hope all is well with you...

A medic and an artist...you got some Da Vinci thing going on...?

DrMaxtor said...

Waliakum Asalam Swordswoman,
Alhamdulilah all is well, I hope you've kept your blade sharp because I've got a nice list to post before the end of year. Thanks for the compliment.
Vigil, I can't stand ER. If there was that much drama in a real ER, there would be a lot of dead patients.

Hot Lemon& Honey said...

MashaAllah, thats what I call talent :)
I guess we have something in common, I had a passion for art, and in my early med school years I used to draw my professors as they gave their lectures, and thats a bad sign (it ment I was bored).
Now I draw shapes and lines and shade (good sign, means I am concentrating)...
Saw Hamza Yusuf few days back in Reviving the Islamic Spirit. I'm not sure, is Al Zaytoona close to where you live?

I like Greys Anatomy :)

Irzan said...

omg ur kidney is sooo cute~!!! hehe... i am soo not bothered to draw it - just use the trusted netters!