Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Cholo who nearly stole Christmas


Recently back in my old southern California stomping grounds and bored out of my skull on Christmas, I dropped in on my good friend from med school, the very semitic Dr.H(100% USDA certified Ay-rab) aka the beardless Angry Mutawah. You'll be hard pressed to find a better orthopedic surgeon(and practical joker) in the nation.
We had decided to go to one of the finest Chinese Muslim restaurants in the area. Before we left, he noticed somebody jumping the fence on the security monitor while I was busy channel surfing. Dr.H went and confronted the culprit, who was now outside the property scoping out the rest of the joint. This cholo claimed to have been on his way to meet his kids in a neighboring city and needed the "shortcut." By this time I entered the fray, which startled him(don't know if it was the kufi or the beard, my two favorite flying accessories) while Dr.H went back in to call the cops. I pulled out the trusty DrM digital camera and asked him to say "cheese" which as you can tell from the picture, he didn't. All smiles isn't he? He didn't look or act high but his story certainly wasn't genuine. You don't go prowling around peoples homes in the middle of the night claiming to be on your way to meet your kids. I tried to keep him talking while the cops were on their way but he decided to exit stage left. Ten minutes later the cops arrived, good thing this was an affluent neighborhood otherwise they'd show up in a couple of hours.
We gave them the relevant information and they were on their way, and we decided to heat up some leftover pizza and stay in. We found out later that this guy had a criminal record and was seen in the area before. It may not sound like a big deal to some but there are a lot of home invasion robberies this time of the year, some fatal. Keep the lights on and your eyes open. Keep safe inshallah.
And before I forget : congratulations to my good friend Felix(not a cholo, but the fuzzy dice on his dashboard has got to go) on the birth of his beautiful and healthy neice, Laura.

6 comments:

Yusuf Smith said...

As-Salaamu 'alaikum,

Good move ma sha Allah. This afternoon on a number 65 bus from Richmond to Kingston, I had to share the upper deck with two stupid teenage girls, one of whom insisted on playing the upper registers of her crappy music through the weedy speaker on her mobile phone. I thought of doing the mobile phone treatment on her, but thought better of it. These people are always low-class "chavs" who play rubbish dance music and R&B. I sometimes wish I have a ghetto blaster and something to blast out of it at times like that, but I was always a folkie and folk music (even Fairport type stuff) tends to start off quiet.

When I got off at Kingston, guess who I found sitting next to the exit door? Three female police community support officers. I really wished I'd seen them before.

Safia speaks said...

A beardless muttawa????

Hot Lemon& Honey said...

Al7amdullilah nothing bad came out of it. And Thank God he didn't do anything when you guys confronted him.
You be careful.

Eid Mubarak Dr. M

Irzan said...

Salam.. it's kinda funny how in that spur moment u hv ur digital camera u know :P

Irzan said...

and please please please turn on your anonymous commenting option so that i can put my pseudonym - irzan! i hate to be associated with my blogger accout ~ i love my wordpress more!

DrMaxtor said...

Sorry Irzan, but I don't allow anonymous comments. Its a great way of keeping trolls at bay. I wish I knew of a way I could make commenting easier for you though....